Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I am a little surprised at myself for not posting a drunken update of my delightful date with my BT (Boy Toy – I am such a wit!).

The night started off fantastically, though he a tad younger than me (I didn’t inquire exactly how young he is in fear that the answer may have caused me to have a panic attack at the thought of the age gap. Unfortunately, even in the age of supposed gender equality, eyebrows do tend to be raised when an older woman dates a younger man.), he drives and came to pick me up. A novelty I relished after having had to travel an hour by tube to meet Jayce at his office each time we have been on a date.

Whilst I know very little about cars, his was shiny, clean and smelt of jasmine courtesy of one of those funny little Christmas tree shaped air fresheners.

I must admit, I was a little worried by what he would be wearing as all I can remember of him from our schools days is acne, a pudding bowl haircut and a tatty old Schott bomber jacket in a rather garish red. So I was pleasantly surprise to see him wearing jeans, a long sleeved t-shirt (fitted yet not so tight as to scream ‘Right Said Fred’), and baby blue suede Timberland boots. Had he been wearing loafers I might have refused to get in the car.

We went for a few drinks at a wine bar then onto a family run Vietnamese restaurant nearby. I was even more impressed when he revealed that he had made the choice after hearing that I had spent six months traveling around Asia the year before.

We talked about school; who’s pregnant, who’s in jail, which teachers have ‘come out’ (apparently our two female PE teachers have each left their spouses to start a new life together in New Zealand! Who would have thought it?), and just generally what we have been doing since we graduated.

Whilst I have been through university, traveled and started to carve out a career for myself in the cut throat world of media, BT left school at 16 and started working in the local pie factory, where he still works to this day.

We laughed and talked so much that we only realized it was time to leave when we saw the waiters starting to put the chairs up on the tables and begin to sweep the floor.

After paying the bill (he paid), we walked to his car where he put his arm around me ‘in case I was cold’.

Not only did he drop me off home, he actually went to the trouble of parking the car and walking me to my door where we kissed goodnight!

I let myself in and as I was making a cup of tea, received a txt from him saying what a nice night he had and that he hoped he would see me again soon.

Excited, I rang my best friend to regale her with the night’s happenings and to dissect every inch of the evening.

‘Darling’ she exclaimed. ‘I can’t believe you would kiss someone who works in a pie factory!’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home